St Joseph’s High School is part of the Directorate of Catholic Education in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle. It is a regional Catholic co-educational school serving the needs of the five parishes in the Upper Hunter. Inspired by the spirituality of St Mary MacKillop, Father Julian Tenison Woods and the Sisters of St Joseph who founded the school in 1896, the school gives a high priority to addressing the needs of the disadvantaged in the community, frequently reminding students of Mary MacKillop’s words, ‘never see a need without trying to do something about it.’
The concern for the less privileged in society is not only reflected in the school’s enrolment and pastoral care practices, but is evident in the frequent community days and special appeals to support charitable and social justice groups and community organisations.
We at St Joseph’s are committed, in partnership with families and parishes, to meeting the academic, social, physical and spiritual needs of the students in our CARE, by:
The school motto is taken from Chapter 56 of the book of the prophet Isaiah in the Old Testament: “Custodite Iudicium Et Facite Iustitiam”. Translated into English: “Have a care for justice, act with integrity.”